Sunday, April 22, 2012

Taking it to the streets

What's this? A blog from Nikki? I thought she fell of the face of the earth.

At least, that's certainly what the last couple of weeks have felt like. Some changes have happened at work which have hugely impacted my free time and extra-curriculars, making the last month or so feel a lot like this:

(Photo from here.)

The beauty of life is that it is ever changing, as unpredictable as the weather or Lady Gaga's next wig. Which means that we must always adapt to its challenges, or, like the elephant above, end up with our heads in the sand, praying for the waves to drag us out to sea.

I don't know about you, but when life starts getting rough, I break out my new favorite adage: "Keep calm and organize." With the new hours at work, I've had to re-evaluate my work out regimen, my writing schedule, when to fit in chores, grocery shopping, laundry, etc. and it's been rough. But the last two weeks of experimenting have definitely taught me one thing: To-Do Lists are wonderful!

I love lists. I will add things to a list solely for the satisfaction of being able to cross that puppy off. There are few things so satisfying as visual affirmation of having accomplished something. Since I create a lot of lists, I go through a lot of paper - usually scraps, but still waste - and I wanted something a little more permanent. Enter Pinterest. I found a great and simple make-your-own dry-erase board and voila:

Yes, that is my green ruler from elementary school, stamped with my name in case anyone is confused who it belongs to.

I used the same paints from this post ($1.99 each), since I like uniformity, and found some really pretty scrap book paper from Michael's, $0.39 a page. I have a handful of old, inexpensive picture frames bought from Target during my college days, so being able to re-purpose one of them is a bonus. I would recommend using the Sharpie on the back side of the glass, as I've since discovered that erasing the dry-erase marks sometimes removes the Sharpie marks as well.

Happy Listing!

*

Now to my next topic: running. Due to the past couple weeks' craziness, I've only managed to fit in one 2.5 mile run. It was not pretty.

Yesterday, I was invited to join a sunrise boot camp down at the Santa Monica Pier, run by Slim Body Fitness. Having not had a decent work out in two weeks, I was surprised that I didn't die there on the beach within the first twenty minutes. However, it did give me a swift kick in the rear and a fat knock to the noggin'. Running is not enough, I need to work on my core strength as well. My new resolve is to run on the weekends and hit the gym for interval training during the week, focusing on strength training and cardio.

Up til now, almost all of my running has been at the gym on a tread mill. Tread mills are great, but they can't substitute for the real thing. It's not only important to take your run to the streets (or park, beach, trails, etc) for the fresh air and interesting scenery, but to get a real idea of how to keep pace. It's a lot harder keeping pace when you don't have a machine to drag you along when you get a little tired.

Today I got my first real taste of long-distance running. Thanks to Map My Run, I found a 5 mile run at a local park that I decided to take for a spin this morning:

It went fairly well, save for when I got lost inside the park, when I was supposed to stay on the periphery, which led to a little bit more walking than I wanted while I was climbing up hills to try and figure out where I was. At the end of it all, I managed to do 5 miles at a 15.48 pace. Not too shabby!

It seems like Mud Runs are all the rage now. I'm always learning about new runs, ever since I participated in the Warrior Dash, and I've come across a few interesting ones:

For the Zombie enthusiasts, there is the Run For Your Lives race, where Zombies jump out at you from practically nowhere and try to take your "life flag".

For those who enjoy getting messy, but maybe not muddy, there is The Color Run, which looks very cool (and pretty) indeed!

And for those with a more militant bent, there is the Spartan Sprint, where "Gladiators" await you with fake-jousts to try and knock you off the course. My brother, ex-Marine that he is, decided this was the run for him and it didn't take much convincing for me to join in. For the Southern Californians out there who want to participate, the race is the first weekend in December, plenty of time to gird your loins and sign up!

*

And now: writing.

I am proud to say that one thing I have successfully implemented in the last two weeks is writing every day. I take my moleskin and my lunch and chill in my car with the windows down, making the most of the SoCal breeze while it lasts, and spend a good 50 minutes writing on my lunch breaks. On Sundays, I bring it all together on my computer to tweak and edit.

I'm nowhere close to where I want to be in my writing, but I feel good about it. I'm learning as I go and have only to go up!

*

Progress Report:

Words Written to Date: 6830 (28.45% of Weekly Goal)

Miles Run to Date: 53.05

Average Pace: 14.03 minutes per mile

*

1 comment:

  1. MMM Nice long blog entry. My aren't you the creative one with your reusable list. Sounds like student scrimping is still paying off.

    You need to run more if you wanna run that Disney thing come September. Its hard to get in shape. BTW, Mom and I took a walk today. Another BTW, there are no ex-Marines...anymore ...just Marines. The Commandant has made it official!

    Good job on writing during lunches...make notes or rough draft and flesh it out later on the puter.

    Keep at it kiddoinski,

    Love ya

    ReplyDelete