Sunday, April 29, 2012

Ugly Shoes, Beautiful Workout

(Image from here.)

After last week's run, my feet hurt like I'd just spent 18 hours standing in line for Star Tours at Disneyland wearing three-inch pumps. Painful!

It was a valuable lesson stressing the importance of proper footwear when running. My pretty black and pink Nike running shoes I got at The Rack last September for about $40 are serviceable enough for short work outs, but when it comes to the long run, they're more than inadequate, they evolve from cute gym shoes into instruments of torture.

Which goes to show, footwear should not be selected on aesthetics alone - functionality is far more important.

I knew I couldn't put my beloved feet back into the shoe-version of the Iron Maiden - it was past time I got fitted for running shoes.

For runners of all experience levels, being fitted for running shoes is a must. The proper foot wear ensures proper alignment of your body, decreasing stress on your ankles, knees, and back. It corrects your stride and provides support for your feet, preventing blisters, calluses, and other foot-related injuries. Whether you run every now and then, or all the time, you want to make sure you're wearing the proper equipment.

You wouldn't strap a two-by-four to your feet for downhill skiing, or jump out of an airplane using a bed sheet for a parachute; it follows that you wouldn't want to go running without wearing the right kind of shoes, either.

I decided to go to Road Runner Sports on the recommendation of a friend and, conveniently, there is a store located only a few miles from my apartment. I know there are other great running stores out there that also perform this service, I just happened to have had a great experience with Road Runner.

What getting fitted entails:

1) First, they get a little back ground information on what kind of work out you're doing - marathon training, hiking, walking, etc - and what kinds of discomfort you may be experiencing - lower back pain, collapsed arches, etc.

2) Your shoe size will be measured, naturally, which means taking off your socks. Word to the wise, don't go in with dirty feet. You'll be embarrassed and though the customer service rep will keep a professional air, they'll probably be grossed out. Luckily, I had a charming guy helping me out and he ensured me that I had "beautiful feet". I'll be getting a lot of mileage out of that compliment!

3) Next, your arch type will be measured by standing on a pressure-sensor pad. It will tell you your foot shape and where you place your weight. I've always known I've had high arches, but I did not realize how high they were until this text. I didn't even have a foot print - I had two splotches, one for my heel and one for the balls of my feet, and nothing in between. The assistant went on to explain that this is what caused the terrible pain in my feet, as my shoes have absolutely zero arch support, the arches in my feet are collapsing when I run. Which hurts, a lot, let me tell you. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that you need arch support if you have high arches, but I've never even tried to utilize Dr Scholl's shoe inserts, let alone have some customized to my feet. I also discovered that I place most of my weight on my left heel. Not only do I have high arches, I don't stand correctly. I'm the Leaning Tower of Nikki, which is why my dream of becoming a ballerina would never have gotten past the barre - I'd probably give my partner a concussion on the first lift attempt. Plus, Natalie Portman-like ballerinas scare me.

The following is an example of the type of scan they perform:

(Image from here.)

4) Following your arch measurements, they will have you run at a comfortable pace on a treadmill, barefoot, while a camera records your feet while you run. This is to determine what kind of pronation you have - basically, are your feet straight or do they bend inwards or outwards while running. If your feet bend out or in, it forces the bones in your ankles and legs to bend, diminishing support, creating tension on your joints, often resulting in shin splints, or causing your ankle more easily. Not good. I was shown to have a perfectly straight left foot and a bit of an outward pronation in my right.

What does this all mean? Between my high arches, the pressure on my left, and the pronation on my right, I need two different shoes to support my feet. Now, you don't usually have to buy two different pairs of shoes and only wear the left from one and the right from the other - the solution is to have shoe inserts form-fitted to your feet. Completely customized to you.

5) It's pretty easy - the assistant will heat up the insoles and while you stand on a cushy piece of foam, they will place the insert on your feet, mold it to your feet, and then have you pressed down it while it cools and takes on the shape of your foot, filling in all the areas where you need support - like your St Louis-like arches. This means the good looking assistant will have his hands all over your feet, so getting a pedicure beforehand isn't necessarily a bad idea.

6) You also have the option of getting new shoes that are geared to your needs as well. The inserts can be put into any shoe, but for maximum effect, it's good to get a new pair of shoes that are designed for your type of feet. For me, I was recommended to get a "Neutral Plus" shoe - this is basically a standard shoe with a bit of extra cushioning, since the inserts will be taking care of my arches, the shoes will mostly be reinforcement. After a long and thorough examination, trying on several different pairs, and probably walking half a mile around the store, I settled on probably the ugliest pair of shoes I've ever owned - the Mizuno Wave Creation. My assistant commended me on choosing practicality over the better looking Asics, which were a sapphire blue so beautiful, they would've caused my Nikes to need years of therapy to overcome their resultant inferiority complex.

I want to state for the record that you do not have to spend a stink-load of money on expensive running shoes if you don't want to - there are excellent quality shoes at reasonable prices - what is important is finding the right shoe for your needs, one that will provide proper support and allow you to run at your most maximum efficiency.

For me, I decided to Go Big, or Go Home: I bought the inserts, the shoes, the Road Runner Sports membership, all told, a lot of money. But, the inserts are good for 1,000 miles and the ugly shoes are going to be my saving grace on Run Day. Running 13.1 miles is daunting enough, knowing I don't have to worry so much about my feet giving out clears up a lot of head space to worry about other things - like fitting in a photo op with Tinker Bell and out-running all the other women for the bathroom behind the Alice in Wonderland ride.

It's important to break in your new running shoes. The Road Runner Sports assistant instructed me to wear them for twenty minutes the first day then in twenty minute increments for the next two days, before wearing them on a big run. I wore them for a short workout on Wednesday and I was a little worried, as my feet did not feel great afterward, though it was hard to tell if it was the shoe or the lingering pain from Sunday's run. I continued breaking them in by wearing them all day on Friday. Since my work is mostly a desk job, I'm off my feet for most of the day, so all told, I probably only got in an hour's worth of breaking them in - putting me right on target according to the instructions.

I woke up early Saturday morning, ready to take my new inserts and shoes out for a test run (haha) and I am proud to say that I cut ten minutes off of my time! I ran the same 5 mile loop as last weekend and clocked in at 1:06:02, with an average pace of 13.2 minutes per mile. My ultimate goal is to keep a 13-14 minute mile and so far, so good!

Granted, my Mizunos aren't winged shoes that will help me fly like Mercury or run like Usain Bolt. I'm still the girl who identifies more strongly with the Tortoise than the Hare, but there is a difference in my running. My feet feel great, allowing me to run longer, and by relieving a lot of the tension in my legs, I am economizing my steps and expending less energy when I run, giving me the energy to go the distance, so to speak. Last week, I was dead on my feet after my run - this week, I had enough spare energy to vacuum my entire apartment right after running and then go spend the next ten hours at Disneyland.

If you're unable to go into running store to be fitted for a shoe, there are great online resources to help you select a shoe. Here is a good resource, with shoe recommendations suited to different types of feet. It is also important to keep your feet healthy - wash and dry them daily, keep your toe nails trimmed, and if you experience any persistent pain, have your feet checked out by a podiatrist sooner rather than later.

Next time on the agenda: must do something about my knees.

Happy Running!

2 comments:

  1. I am in stitches...rhetorically. This was..still is a great piece of writing. Your description of events is excellent. Informative and very humorous. I particularly liked the iron maiden comparison.

    It is rule #1 to have the proper equipment for any job. Looks like you are learning that the painful way at first. Improvisation is great...sometimes absolutely necessary. But in athletics the right shoe, in this case, is imperative. Your barking dogs will thank you for buying these supports and shoes.

    I like your blog...its cool funny and well written. Keep plugging along Nikki.

    Lotsa Love...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nikki, Enjoyed your blog. I laugh in parts and I know how it is when your feet hurt.

    ReplyDelete